About Me

My photo
I am a young mom with 2 children named Gabriel and Grace. I am just moving into a new home and am learning that happiness can be found when and where you least expect it.

Monday, May 24, 2010

Couch Makeover

So, we have had this couch for awhile. Adam had the couch when I moved in with him. I did not mind it so much then but then I was just sick of it. I had to figure out something but I knew that a new couch was not in the budget. We switched couches out for a while and took a couch from Adams dad that he was getting rid of. The couch was  white stripped and looked nice but it was little and very uncomfortable. Adam and I enjoy snuggling on the couch and watching TV at night and that couch was just not working. Needless to say, I had to have my old couch back. We switched back and guess what. Comfortable but still ugly.

Here is a before picture of our couch.



This is what the couch looks like with the pillows facing forward. Horrible, right?



And this is a pic. of the couch with the pillows reversed and some decorative pillows that I made. From this picture the couch does not look that bad. Trust me when I say it is not that pretty.

So on with my inspiration for my "new" couch. I found this picture on Pottery Barns website.

I just love the clean and crispness of the couch. It is so pretty and inviting. It is a drop cloth slip cover and so easy to remove and be able to wash. Still more than I wanted to pay though. For our size couch it was right around $200. Still more than I was willing to fork out for a slipcover.

Now, onto the big reveal.

This is an ampersand pillow that I made. I just used some left over fabric and painted the symbol onto the pillow. When the paint had dried I outlined it with blue yarn.

I covered two of the original pillows with some more extra fabric that I had from my kitchen table runners. I love the way my pillows turned out.


This is the couch in all of its glory. I went to Menard's and bought a huge drop cloth from the paint department. I do not remember the exact dimensions but I think they were close to 9' by 12'. When I got it home it was not big enough to hang all the way to the floor on both sides. I sent Adam back and had him pick me up a second one. I just tucked in the middle seem and it fit perfect. I am sooooo happy with the way that it looks. And the best part was that the drop cloths were on sale for $12 each. Not to shabby for a $24 dollar couch makeover:)


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this cover. It looks so relaxing and refreshing. You really did a great job.

Jill said...

Very nice. I think i like it better than the PB one because it doesn't have so much bulk on the arms of the couch.

Kaysi said...

What a great transformation!!! I love the color of it!

Little Lovables said...

turned out great! love the pillows you made

Pam said...

Great improvement and at a great price!

Lianna Knight said...

Great job! Love it! Please stop by and enter my giveaway... http://jillybeansdoggieboutique.blogspot.com/2010/05/doggie-bed-giveaway.html

Sherry said...

I am trying to visit as many blogs as I can from Metamorphasis Monday. I am so glad that yours is one I clicked on. It is so great to see what a transformation you accomplished. I love the way you used those dropcloths and your pillows really finish it off. Thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed how good it looks. And such a simple fix. I think I might do this on our couch to keep the dog hair off. I can just shake it off and wash it. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Looks great!
Thanks for sharing, this week, @ Anything Related!

Anonymous said...

Your couch makeover looks fabulous! I adore the look and the price of it. Job well done! Thanks for sharing and I will be linking to your wonderful couch cover.